Monday, November 18, 2013

So Many Choices


Today, I am continuing with the blog challenge, The Thankful project, with Kenzie at Chasing Happy. I haven't done it every day, but I found today's prompt interesting: 'A Choice'

Every stage of life brings new and, sometimes, more difficult choices. That was no exception when I had to decide where I was going to attend college. From sixth grade until my senior year of high school, I thought I was going to THE Ohio State University where I had dreamed of being a Buckeye and a member of The Best Damn Band in the Land. My family is full of die hard Buckeye fans who supported me through the whole process.


I applied to the main campus and got in, but things took a turn late in the fall of my senior year. My senior year, I worked as an assistant in the school office. Our office brought in representatives from colleges all over Ohio to speak with perspective high school students. There was a booklet where you sign-up to speak with the recruiter. As I was flipping through the book, I saw a school that had no one signed up to speak with them. I felt bad that they would drive all the way to my school and have no one to talk to so I signed up.

It was a small, private liberal arts college located outside of Cleveland. The day the recruiter came in, her and I talked for almost two hours and I was excited about this college. The next day, I booked a tour at the school. On the tour, I was blown away by the community and inviting atmosphere. After already being accepted at OSU, I applied to Baldwin Wallace University.


I was accepted to BW and was faced with the choice to go to either OSU or BW. Ultimately, I chose BW and I could not be more proud of this decision. Yes, it is going to cost me more money in the long run, but I LOVE my university. I am just far enough away from home, there are a surplus of opportunities, professors are approachable and helpful, and I am a person, not a number. I learned that you can't always plan things in your life....well, you can plan, but life may not go according to your plan and that's ok. 

What choices have you made that you are thankful for?

2 comments :

  1. Oh wow,what an awesome story!! So glad you found your home :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you love BW! Don't worry about the extra cost. College/education is totally worth it! I also went to a small liberal arts college (that has put me in a lot of debt), but the experience was definitely worth it. There are perks to going to a big school, but there are also a lot of perks to going to a small school... like how professors know you by your name and have a friendship with you.

    ReplyDelete