Sunday, November 3, 2013

Seville, Spain: A Special Place


Continuing in The Thankful Project blog challenge with Kenzie from Chasing Happy. Today is Day 3 and the focus is 'a place'...

I couldn't think of a more special place that I am so incredibly thankful for. Spring of this year, I traveled to Seville, Spain (yes, like ht Barber of Seville). I had wanted to travel to Spain for almost 8 years by the time I finally arrived. I cultivated a love for Spain through my Spanish classes in middle school, high school, and college. As soon as I got to college my freshman year, I walked into the study abroad office and said, "I want to go to Spain. How can I make it happen?" A year later, I was there. 

Torre del Oro
The place I am most thankful for is Seville. It is a vibrant city located in Southern Spain. The people are laid back and always up for a good time spent with friends and family over a mug of beer or a glass of wine. I was overwhelmed by the culture that floods the city. I learned so much about Spanish life in Seville and Spanish culture: churros, architecture, flamenco, tapas, tinto de verano, siestas, bread with every meal, bullfighting, the list could literally go on and on. 

The city taught me so much about the Spanish language, culture, but most of all about myself. Studying Abroad is a great time to learn about yourself and really find direction in your life. It was the first place I was kind of 'out on my own' and really fending for myself. It was my first big....well, HUGE adventure. It has instilled in me a passion for travel, cultures, stepping outside of my comfort zone, wine and languages. I long for the next time I may be able to visit again. I am smitten by Seville and it will forever hold a special place in my heart and my memories. 

What place are you most thankful for? 

No comments :

Post a Comment