Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Monkeying Around in Gibraltar {Travel Tuesday}



Before I left for Spain, my dad told me I needed to visit the Straight of Gibraltar, an English territory in southern Spain. I had no clue what it was, its significance, or why I should visit, but it always stuck in the back of my mind. About a few weeks into being abroad, I found a website offering an extremely cheap day-trip to Gibraltar. I do not remember exactly how much it was (I think around 28 euro) it included a 2 hour bus ride there and back, tour guides, a visit to St. Michael's Cave, time to hang out with the apes, free time, and a bus tour around the rock of Gibraltar.

We left early on a Saturday morning and the day was perfect. I adore blue skies with fluffy clouds and, that day, the sky did not disappoint. Our bus took us to the coast to an impressive view of the Mediterranean Sea, the Straight of Gibraltar, the Atlantic Ocean, Africa, and Spain.

The view was incredible, but my favorite part of the day was hanging out with apes. At first, it was terrifying being around a bunch of apes. I wanted to touch one so bad, but the thought of one eating my face off hindered that hope. We hung around the apes for a good 30 minutes before I started to feel a little more comfortable around them. As we stood next to a fence watching the apes play, they started climbing on the fence, getting closer and closer to us. I stepped back a little afraid, but then nudged myself closer to the ape to see if it would reach for me. And that's when it happened, the ape jumped onto my shoulder, practically hugging my head as it started threading my hair through its teeth like floss.








You can write about one of your favorite travel adventures too. Just link up with Travel Tuesday on A Compass Rose or Found Love. Now What? 

Found Love. Now What?

4 comments :

  1. Love this post! You're really making me want to go back to Spain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spain is the most beautiful country. It is still, by far, my favorite in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I was like, wow you saw a monkey. Then I scrolled down to say 'wow you got touched by a monkey', but wow a monkey got to sit on your shoulder?? how awesome! Thank you for linking up with Belinda and I for Travel Tuesday!

    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh. It was an incredible and scary experience all in one. Thank you for an awesome link-up. I always look forward to Travel Tuesdays! Have a great weekend!

      Delete