Friday, August 9, 2013

Cloudy with a Chance of Joy




I love watching Tedtalks. They get me to think, question ideas that never really crossed my mind. The other night, I was in the mood to watch a Tedtalk. So I scrolled and scrolled through videos, until one little square caught my eye. I scrolled over it and the name of the video was Cloudy with a Chance of Joy. Interesting....so I clicked on it. I read the synopsis on the side and come to find out, Gavin Pretor-Pinney is the creator of the Cloud Appreciation Society. WHAT?! Is there such a thing? 

I have always had a fascination for the sky, for those big, fluffy clouds that remind me of the wallpaper (here) in Andy's room in Toy Story. My family makes fun of me for sticking my head out the car window to feel the wind, soak up the sun, and stare at the clouds. Pretor-Pinney says, "they are the most diverse, evocative, poetic aspect of nature." You can tell how much I agree with this by how many pictures I take of the sky, some of which are shown below.

I think the most important point that Pretor-Pinney nails that hits home for me is, "The exotic can be found in the every day." I always thought, especially after being abroad, that I needed some huge adventure to be inspired, happy, or "finding myself".  This just isn't the case. I can find all the inspiration I need just by stepping out the front door, or gazing out the car window, taking the time to slow down and meditate.

With the busy-ness of the world and the digital age swirling around us and clouding our minds (pun intended), we miss what is so beautiful and standing right before us! Pretor-Pinney exclaims, "Pay attention to something so commonplace that everyone else misses it." I encourage you to: Be mindful. Be inspired. Be present. 

Athens, Greece (top of the Acropolis) 

Wicklow National Park, Ireland

Seville, Spain (outside my bedroom window)

Gibraltar, Spain

It is good for your ideas, good for your creativity...good for your soul

Malaga, Spain

Seville, Spain

Sanlucar de la Barrameda, Spain
If you live with your head in the clouds, every now and again, it will help you keep your feet on the ground.



No comments :

Post a Comment